4.02.2009

Breakout MLB Stars

Aside from just being a Yankees fan, I describe myself as a fan of younger talent in Major League Baseball. I really like it when I see a young player (or, better yet, a team full of young players, like the Rays late year) put it all together and show that they belong. Each year, I try to sort of scout out the upcoming young talent in baseball. I want to know who I should be looking for when I watch games, but I also want to know who to draft for my fantasy team.

With that said, here’s a list of players I’m looking forward to catching in this upcoming year. It’s not like anyone on this list won’t be on everyone else’s lists of a similar nature, but the bond these players all share is the fact that they’re all on my fantasy team, which you can view here.

Anyway, without further ado, here we go!

Chris Davis (1B/3B, Texas Rangers) – Davis was one of the guys who flew under the radar for me last year. I ended up with him on my team only because I found out that his seemingly mediocre stats were compiled in only half a season. Stretched out over a whole year, he would have wound up batting .285 with 34 HR and 110 RBI. Not bad.

Alex Gordon (3B, Kansas City Royals) – Gordon’s one of the guys in the majors with the most talent and the least production. He’s the kind of guy who seemingly makes this type of list annually, as each year is going to be his inevitable breakout season. It’ll come… at some point. 2009? Sure, why not?

Jay Bruce (OF, Cincinnati Reds) – I’m not really sure why, but I call him “the great American hope.” I think it might have something to do with the skepticism everyone has as far as power hitters and home run numbers go. If the current batch of players are all lumped together in one tainted bundle, Bruce is the guy who will lead the next group out of the abyss. Last year’s 21 home runs was a great start.

Billy Butler (DH, Kansas City Royals) – For someone who’s supposed to have one of the best eyes in baseball, a .275 and 11 home runs just isn’t going to cut it. However, the dude has been raking this Spring Training, hitting .395 with 4 home runs in 73 at-bats. I’ll take that.

Matt Wieters (C, Baltimore Orioles) – He’s this year’s best bet to follow in the footsteps of Ryan Braun and Evan Longoria as the mid-May call-up who instantly proves he belongs. Wieters is really the best thing the Orioles have going, so it’s only a matter of time before he gets his due.

Matt LaPorta (1B/OF, Cleveland Indians) – The last I’ve heard, it isn’t even a sure thing that LaPorta is going to make the Indians’ major league roster this year. However, if he does, from what I’ve heard, he’ll be a fun one to watch. He’s probably the guy on this list I know the least about, but supposedly he has Joe Mauer-like hitting abilities… with power. That’s scary.

Max Scherzer (P, Arizona Diamondbacks) – Last year, I had great hopes for Scherzer. My one friend and I were set to watch each of his starts for the Diamondbacks. After being called up mid-season, he strikes out something like 7 guys in 4 1/3 innings in his first appearance. We were psyched. But then he fails to stick in the rotation and he gets hurt. What a lame way to end the year. Here’s to a better 2009, Max!

David Price (P, Tampa Bay Rays) – Everyone got a taste of what he could do by watching him in the playoffs last year. Though he’s currently in the Rays’ minor league system, he’ll be up soon enough and will wow fans yet again. That’s one thing I hate about baseball – the stupid clause that guarantees a player more money if he is called up before a certain date. That’s really the only reason he’s in the minors right now. The kid can play. Call him up. Don’t be cheap, Tampa.

No comments:

Post a Comment