4.04.2009

The Wizard of Gore

Thank you, Diablo Cody.

As though I didn’t love Juno enough as it is, my roommate and I just finished watching The Wizard of Gore (the movie that’s briefly discussed by Ellen Page and Jason Bateman).

In a word, it was incredible.

Okay, incredible to my roommate and me is very different from what you might think is incredible. That’s understandable. To fully appreciate the mastery that is this movie, you have to love bad movies (and I definitely do). There are so many questions that are unanswered by this movie that many people would probably walk away angry.

I didn’t. I loved it!

The more important thing that this movie did, though, was bring a third fantastic film studio to the forefront of terrible movie culture. My friends and I all already loved Troma (home to Toxic Avenger, Poultrygiest, et al) and York Entertainment (Alien 51 and such), but now we have another: SOMETHING WEIRD VIDEOS.

To call their catalog extensive would be an understatement (You can view a list here.). There are so many movies on that list with such potential that it makes me weep in joy. I just queued up in my Netflix a Something Weird double feature: The Beast that Killed Women / The Monster of Camp Sunshine. Both deal with nudist camps (how are they not involved in more movies?) and crazy creatures that wreak havoc there. I don’t know which one will be better, but I think it’s a safe bet to say that I’m going to love both.

No comments:

Post a Comment